Differences in Re-excision Rates for Breast-Conserving Surgery Using Intraoperative 2D Versus 3D Tomosynthesis Specimen Radiograph
A study from Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
Background: Intraoperative specimen radiographs performed during breast conservation surgery for cancer reduces the need for re-excision for positive margins. We studied 2D versus 3D image-guided cavity margin excision and compared it to final pathology and need for additional surgery.
Methods: We conducted a retrospective review of 657 breast-conserving operations performed for cancer from 2013 to 2018. Procedures were performed by four surgeons at a single tertiary institution with access intraoperatively to 2D and 3D radiographs. Data collected included demographics, intraoperative margin assessment, final pathology, and re-excision rates.
Results: A total of 466 patients had 2D and 191 had 3Dspecimen imaging. The 2D group had a lower mean age and a higher body mass index and proportion of minority patients than the 3D group (P \ 0.01). In the 3D group, there was a higher percentage of patients with mammographically denser breasts (P \ 0.06); 58% of patients in the 3D group had additional imaging-directed cavity margins excised versus 32% of patients in the 2D group (P\0.01). In the 2D group, 44 patients (9%) had positive final margins versus 8 patients (4%) in the 3D group (P = 0.02). No difference was found on total volume of excision (P =0.56). The re-excision rate for the 2D group was 11%versus 5% for the 3D group (P = 0.02; adjusted odds ratio =0.41, 95% confidence interval 0.19–0.86).
Conclusions: Re-excision rates using both modalities are low. A lower re-excision rate is independently associated with 3D tomosynthesis. This allows surgeons to excise additional margins at the index operation, decreasing reoperations and anxiety/costs for patients.
Request your personal meeting or demo
Fill out the form and one of our exhibition managers with be in touch about scheduling your personal meeting or demo at our upcoming trade show.